Welcome to the official website for Suffolk County Council’s (SCC) Vegan Staff Network. Find out who we are, what we do, what we’ve achieved and how to join us.
Who we are
The Vegan Staff Network was launched in January 2019, making it the newest of the staff networks at SCC.
We have six Network Co-Chairs and more than 100 members.
We’re a diverse, inclusive bunch – about two thirds of our members don’t identity as vegan, but support the aims of the network.
What we do
We’re all about promoting veganism in a positive and inclusive way, and empowering people to make informed choices about their lifestyle.
Our vision is to bring about a working environment where veganism is recognised, and has a positive impact on the well-being of staff, the welfare of animals and the environment.
In practice, this involves meeting up as a network, supporting each other, engaging staff about veganism in friendly and non-judgemental ways, as well as using our influence as a network to bring about positive change at SCC.
You can read more about what we do and our objectives in our Terms of Reference.
What we’ve achieved
In a short time, the Vegan Network has achieved a lot!
For example, we’ve:
- collaborated with catering services to include more vegan options in staff restaurants
- helped make plant milks available as an alternative to cows’ milk in staff building kitchens
- constructively challenged SCC on its response to declaring a Climate Emergency, and positively influenced an increase in communication and clarification on steps being taken
- advised and supported other local authorities on how to start their own vegan staff networks (we were the first, which you can read about in our media coverage)
- organised events such as beach cleans to pick up tens of kilograms of rubbish from Suffolk’s beautiful beaches
- engaged hundreds of staff spreading a positive message about veganism, and the benefits of a vegan lifestyle for animals, the environment and our health
- supported our network members, especially people who’ve just gone vegan or are on their journey towards veganism
And there’s so much more we want to achieve. For example, we’re calling for SCC to adopt a plant-based food and drink policy across all of its buildings – from staff restaurants and coffee platforms to event catering and vending machines.
Who can join
We really are inclusive – you do not need to be vegan to join, or become vegan later. You just need to share a passion for our mission, vision and values, which you can find in our Terms of Reference.
You can read about how to get involved as either a member or a Network Champion, and what that entails. (Spoiler: it’s fun, supportive, and there’s no obligation to commit loads of time or effort.)
Find out more
Got a question that wasn’t answered here? Try scanning our FAQs.