By James Roberts
While I, myself, am not vegan I have spent the last year experimenting with vegetable-based meals and consider myself “veggie-curious” and willing to begin to venture out into a vegan world. One of my favourite things to cook is ramen dishes. They’re versatile and can satisfy both vegetarians and vegans by simply changing out a few ingredients.
This recipe is one I cobbled together myself and have fine-tuned over the last few months. It has a lovely warm gingery aroma which is accompanied by the heat of the chilies while the mushrooms give the dish another texture and flavour to enjoy without relying on meat.
- Vegan udon noodles or rice noodles
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- Fresh ginger
- 1 fresh red chili
- 5-6 spring onions
- 340g can of sweetcorn
- Vegetable stock cube
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
- Dark soy sauce
- 1 pack of mushrooms
- 2-3 carrots cut into thin carrot sticks
- Begin by finely dicing 2 cloves of garlic and dicing the same amount of fresh ginger. Gently simmer the garlic and ginger in the sesame oil in a large saucepan for a few minutes.
- Add around 2 litres of boiling water to the saucepan along with the vegetable stock cube and around 2 tablespoons of dark soy sauce.
- Finely slice the spring onions and chili and add those to the pan along with the sweetcorn and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- While the broth is simmering, slice up the mushrooms and begin frying them in sesame oil. Once the mushrooms have begun to brown, add a few dashes of dark soy sauce so that they have a dark colouration.
- Submerge the noodles into the broth and simmer for 4-5 minutes (or what it says on the pack).
- Serve by placing the noodles and broth into a bowl and laying the fried mushrooms on top as well as a small handful of carrot sticks on the side.
Note: If you’re vegetarian and not vegan then you can also add a hardboiled egg sliced in half.
This dish is quick, easy and one you can really experiment with by adding your own ingredients such as tofu or Bok Choy, and you can enjoy it on any day of the week!
Main photo by The Creative Exchange on Unsplash