By Rebecca Atkinson
A lot of recipes can be made vegan with a few simple twists or swaps. For this recipe I’m using flax seeds, but you can use chia seeds as well – or mashed banana works in many things too as the binding agent. It’s very much trial and error depending on what you are cooking I guess, but I like the sense of jeopardy!
With the lemons, be mindful about buying waxed lemons as the wax may contain some animal products like shellac. The idea of off-the-shelf fruit being non-vegan may be surprising to some, so it’s something to be aware of.
About 1 hour 30 minutes
For the cake
- 350 g courgette raw (approximately 1-2 medium-sized)
- 125ml vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
- 2 vegan ‘eggs’ (for each egg add 1 tbsp ground flax seeds to 3 tbsp water, mix together and leave for 5 mins)
- 100g white granulated sugar
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 300g Doves Farm Gluten-Free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
For the glaze
- 85 g powdered icing sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- lemon zest to decorate
- Heat oven to 180°C/160°C fan.
- Grease a 900g loaf tin and line with baking paper.
- Coarsely grate the unpeeled raw courgettes (in a box grater or food processor). Lightly squeeze the gratings in a clean tea towel to remove a little of the moisture.
- In a large bowl, whisk the oil, eggs, sugar, zest and juice together until smooth, then stir in the courgette. Sift in the flour, bicarb, baking powder and salt and gently combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 75 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin completely.
- For the lemon drizzle, mix the lemon juice and icing sugar together until smooth. Drizzle over the cooled cake and sprinkle with the lemon zest.